Sunday, March 8, 2009

Another One Bites The Dust

Well...I am able to cross another request off the list of requests I made in January. Friday was BigOne's birthday, and while I was unable to attend his sixteenth birthday bash that night, I was able to complete his birthday beanie. (Yes, I know, I should have probably finished B1's beret first, but her beret takes concentration...his beanie did not.)

I used lion brand wool worsted weight yarn in black from the stash, and a plain old vanilla 2x2 rib knit on size 8 circulars. I decreased as I deemed fit while trying it on repeatedly during construction. (He seemed to have an average head size, so I figured mine would work pretty well for a dummy model.) The things with hats for guys is that you can't make them too long because they don't want to flip the end up and make a brim. At the same time, you can't make them too short or they look like overgrown yarmulkes! I think I managed to make his the perfect length. It hit right above his eyebrows and covered his ears.

I gave it to him at services this morning, along with a card that was HILARIOUS. It was all about how being raised by wolves wouldn't be so bad if they could make you sandwiches. The hat was a hit, as evidenced by the fact that he wore it all day. (No small gesture considering it was around 70 here today.)

I am not sure who the next person on the list is. I should probably double check that. I know the next THING on the list is to finish the beret for B1. Off to knit!

No comments: