Monday, March 23, 2009

Packing Projects


I have a really hard time deciding what knitting projects to take on trips with me. I don't want to take too little and be left with nothing to do, but I also don't want to over pack. It is an issue that has been coming up a lot lately.

Last weekend, for example, I went to my brother and sister-in-law's house for one night. I repeat, ONE NIGHT.

I took three projects.

I can justify this though, because not only do I have to take enough projects time-wise, I also have to take enough projects type-wise. Here are things I take into consideration:

Purse Projects: Always need one of those. They must be compact, and can involve some thought, but not tons. Socks work well here too. Purse projects are what I work on when I am in the car with people, in line somewhere, waiting for a bus, chatting at a friend's house, that type of thing. Last weekend it was a coffee cup cozy.

Brain-free Projects: These projects must be able to be done in the dark, and not require looking in any way. This is what I work on during movies, while reading, or while watching tv. They are usually scarves, beanies, or dishcloths. Some purse projects can also, depending on where I am in them, be brain-free...like socks. However, brain-free projects do not have a definite size restriction. Last weekend it was a scarf.

Pattern Projects: These are "involved" and generally require that I have the actual pattern handy and am able to read it. I do this type of knitting while listening to books on tape, lying in bed, or (depending on who I am with)sitting around chatting with people. (My family and some close friends are used to my knitting, and don't mind my not making eye contact while talking...it also works well when I am not actually part of a conversation, just listening to others or watching them play a video game or something.) Also, pattern projects tend to get larger and more unwieldy than the other two types.

Once I have picked a project for each pattern type, I need to take into account the length and nature of my trip. If I am going somewhere for 4 or 5 days, I might need to take more than one purse or brain-free project depending on what the itinerary is. Long plane trips both ways might even call for 2 pattern projects.

I am going back to Brother's house for one night this weekend, and then to the parents' house for 4 days and 2 plane rides next weekend. Better get planning.

No comments: