Friday, June 19, 2009

Swamped

I had 27 people show up to the knitting program at the library Wednesday night.

Let me repeat that:

27 PEOPLE

And not just 27 knitters to sit around and chat and knit. No.

I had 27 brand spanking new beginners who could barely tell the needles from the yarn!

This was unexpected.

27 knitters...and me. (And a lovely teen volunteer who happened to know how to knit and was a good sport about helping me at the last minute...I totally owe her a coffee cup cozy!)

We knew there was going to be a big turn out based on the PR and the amount of response we had been getting. (And the number of supply sheets I had to print out!) Yet, I did not freak out. I did not have a panic attack...

Until the power point projector did not recognize that my laptop was connected to it even though clearly it was...I thought it might be the type of cable I was using, so I rushed home (mercifully without getting a ticket for breaking the sound barrier) and grabbed every single connector that I owned. I got back 10 minutes before I was supposed to start. It didn't matter. Nothing worked.

That's ok. I took a deep breath and decided to pretend that I don't have a diagnosed stress disorder for which I have been medicated in the past. I pasted a smile on my face, pulled out my wonking huge demonstration needles, and went to work.

By the end of the evening, we had all made great progress...and everyone was knitting:



(The real shame is that I spent 5-6 hours working on that power point presentation...I even had NorCalGal email me a photo of her first dishcloth to include in it...that slide show was a thing of beauty I assure you! I am tempted to go ahead and post it here in the next week or so...I would just need to record the voiceovers...We'll see...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Megan,

I was one of the 27 women at your beginner knitting class at the Library. I had a great time learning from you and laughing too. You have a great sense of humor. Thank you for giving your time to teach us.

Barbara