Sunday, June 21, 2009

In Praise of Audiobooks

It is commonly known that I can knit while: talking, eating, watching a movie, riding in a car, listening to a lecture, sitting on the beach, etc.

It has even been rumored that I can knit in my sleep. (This is not true. Although, when the holiday crunch comes I sometimes wish it were.)

However, depending on the activity, I have to limit the skill level of project I am pursuing. Movies that require attention or a lot of eyes-on-screen time need brain-free knitting. Car rides through scenic venues need brain-free knitting. Talking to friends who actually appreciate eye contact needs brain-free knitting. Eating definitely needs brain-free knitting.

Enter the audiobook.

These boogers are GREAT!!!! I get all the mental stimulation of a movie plot, the rapier wit of a good writer, AND my more complex knitting projects get their required eyeball time.

Since moving into the apartment, and my quarter ending, I have successfully completed 4 audiobooks AND made huge progress on some of my more intricate projects.

(Currently knitting to: Comforts of a Muddy Saturday by Alexander McCall Smith, narrated by the DIVINE Davina Porter. In audiobooks, the narrator makes all the difference.)

No comments: