Monday, May 25, 2009

Why I Do Not Particularly Enjoy the Beach

I live in California. The land of sunshine. The land of orange groves, strawberry fields and earthquakes.

And yes, the land of beaches. (I mean, the Beach Boys classic "Surfin' USA" only mentions beaches in California.)

So when all of the young people were trying to decide what to do for Memorial Day, it was pretty much a no-brainer. We would go to the beach.

The problem is, I don't really enjoy the beach. There are several reasons for this:

1) I don't go in the water because I don't like fish...or rather, I am pathologically afraid of being in water with fish.

2) I don't like being in a swimsuit in public. (Modesty reasons, not poor body image)

3) I don't like to tan, because I don't like to be burned and there is a history of skin cancer in my family.

Still, I am a good sport...usually...and agreed to go along.

There would be a lot of time where I could just sit there. I love to just sit. Why? Because just sitting means I can knit, right?

WRONG!!!

New reason for not liking the beach:

4) It is pretty much impossible to knit without sand getting in your yarn. I had taken along a ziploc bag, and thought I had totally beaten the system. But, no. Broseph, as a joke, piled sand in my chair while I was up doing something. Granted, he did not purposefully aim for the yarn bag, but it happened anyway. ARGH! Luckily, it was only a dishcloth, so I was able to shake it out. It appears to have come through without permanent damage.

To be honest though, it was a lot of fun. It ended up just being me and the boys. I spent most of the day playing photographer, and actually got the entire dishrag done. I would honestly consider going back.

No comments: