Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Naming of a Cowl

I have always been fond of naming things.

Just ask my mother. One of my favorite books to read as a child was a name meaning book called The Name Game.

I named:
  • All of my dolls (Soup Can Macaroni, Annabelle, Sasha...)

  • All of my stuffed animals (Coco, Gunther, Sigfried, Melville...)

  • Plants (Roy, Fairfax, Bertram...)

  • Imaginary friends (Zonya Pasgetti...which was how I said Lasagne Spaghetti)

  • Pets (Saxon, Cleopatra, Kanini, Duchess)

  • EVERYTHING!!!

Yes. I am strange.

So when I knit this cowl, I knew it needed a killer name.



I looked at it. It had ridges.

Ridges was not a great name.

The ridges reminded me of ruts in a road.

Ruts is DEFINITELY not a good name.

The synonyms for ruts included grooves.

Grooves was getting closer.

Grooves morphed into groovy.

Thinking about groovy got the classic rock song "Feelin' Groovy" stuck in my head.

"Feelin' Groovy" is sung by Simon and Garfunkel.

Simon is a boring name for a handknit.

Thus...the cowl is named the Garfunkel.

No comments: